Is there anyone who doesn’t like giraffes? Didn’t think so…. And to be able to see them eye to eye (instead of eye to knee), is amazing. They seem so big yet so delicate at the same time.
This layout has a few more bits and pieces than I usually use, but I thought that with the striking pattern on the giraffe’s coat that it would work well. To keep it from looking too busy, I kept to a colourway that took it’s cues from the photo. I also repeated the same shape to keep it from looking too random – there are hexagons in the patterned paper, and I used hexagon punches to create embellishments out of various other papers. Instead of inking the edges of the hexagons, I outlined them with pens to create a finished look – something I learned from watching Mercy Tiara. One of my favourite ways of using letter stickers is to colour them with Copic markers. In this case they were originally white, and I coloured them in an ombre yellow-green to olive colourway.
I was originally unhappy with the ink splatters on this layout. The patterned paper I used is a thinner, single sided paper and the ink absorbed quickly and unevenly. I had been hoping for those perfect, circle drops that look so effortless. That’s not what I got. I continued on with the layout and thought that I would try and cover or camouflage them somehow. As I worked, I started to like them more and more. And now? I love them! Their rough and rippled edges look like the edges of the giraffe’s spots. How much more of a perfect mistake could I ask for?!
- Recollections kraft cardstock
- Heidi Swapp, Color Magic, Paper Goods Ephemera Pack
- Heidi Swapp, Color Shine, in Gold and Bronzer
- Studio Calico, Mister Huey’s, in Warm Calico and Bookworm
- October Afternoon Sprinklers, Farmhouse, in Screen Door
- Fiskars Hexagon Punches in small and medium
- We R Memory Keepers, Tab Punch
- My Mind’s Eye, Wicked, Enamel Dots
- Tim Holtz, idea-ology, Label Letters
- Crate Paper, The Open Road, cut apart sheet
- Staedtler Triplus Fineliner, in grey
- Pigma, Micron 005, in black
- Martha Stewart, Writing Pen, in Moonstone
- Basic Grey, bas-3984 letter stickers, in white
- Copic: 0 Colorless, E84 Khaki, BG96 Bush, YG03 Yellow Green