One of the most special things about in a place with four seasons is when the leaves start to change colours. It’s lovely on a bright, blue skied day, and it livens up those occasional grey days. When you look out the windows and you see the oranges and reds starting to show, you feel this desire to fluff up your nest and cozy in. It’s energizing to see winter approaching.
Fall Is When Nature Turns To Gold
When I was looking at October’s Mood Board, the contrast of grey, muted colours with the lively, sour greens stood out for me. I also liked the feather printables by Little Honey Pie. I wanted a simple colour scheme, so I decided to use the complimentary combination shown in the photo of the pears. Stamping on a layout always makes me hold my breath a little – will it be crisp? Will it stamp even? Thankfully, no problems this time and the ombre effect on the stamping is maybe my favourite part of this whole page.
- Bazzill Basics Paper
- Inkadinkado, Autumn Foliage, clear stamp set
- Lawn Fawn, Joy To The Woods, clear stamp set
- Lawn Fawn, Joy To The Woods, coordinating die set
- American Crafts, Shimelle, die set
- We R Memory Keepers, Evolution Advanced die cutting machine
- Tsukineko, Dew Drop, Brilliance, Moonlight White ink
- Tsukineko, Dew Drop, Memento, Tuxedo Black ink
- gold ink
- Copic markers
- Little Honey Pie leaf printables, scaled down to 85%
And that was July! Wow – how did it go by so fast?! Between settling into new online digs after Two Peas closed and all the usual summer stuff, I can’t believe it’s time to share another mood board challenge. And as always, everyone is willing to play along. If you want to check out last month’s mood board, click here.
For this month, I found myself drawn to slightly more muted colours. There are still some ionic summer colours included, but they’re more mellow and paired with neutrals instead of high contrast black and white. Geometrics make an appearance in repeating patterns, and there are hints at the passage of time through collections and vintage elements that are featured. A couple quotes are present – perhaps some inspiration in the words, or even the fonts. I hope you all enjoy : )
August Mood Board
Please click here to see image sources, and a few extra images that aren’t in this sampler.
Today’s layout was inspired by MME’s July Sketch Challenge. I had a difficult time with this sketch. I don’t usually leave so much space between embellishments, but it’s a look I love. I thought this challenge would be a great way to push my comfort zone. It’s too early for me to say whether I’ll be using this style in future projects, but I love trying new things.
Waiting On A Train
I decided to use three photos, and mat them on some grey and white patterned paper. In the end, I also matted the first photo on some dark teal paper because I felt like the right side of the page was too heavy. That little bit of a darker colour on the left helps to balance things out. Behind the matted photos I used some grey watercolour paint to create a puddle of colour. I used a heavyweight white cardstock so there was a bit of warping, but nothing that won’t lay flat once it’s in an album. One trick I do use for minimizing warping is to dry the paper on both sides with my heat gun. Heating from both sides means that both sides dry and shrink at the same time. Another trick is to lightly mist the back of the paper so that it expands too. Then tuck the paper under your craft mat, and stack some punches on top to weigh it all down. As the paper dries, it keeps it’s flattened shape.
- American Crafts white cardstock
- MME, Cut & Paste, Charm 6×6 paper pad
- MME, My Girl, 6×6 paper pad (small chevrons)
- MME, Collectable, Chipboard Shapes
- MME, Lost & Found Two, Label Stickers (label edges)
- MME, Market Street, 3×4 Double Sided Cards
- MME, Market Street, Decorative Brads
- MME, Necessities, Teals, Brads
- October Afternoon, Farmhouse, Screen Door Sprinklers
- October Afternoon, Woodland Park, Springs Sprinklers
- Martha Stewart Label Stickers
- Memento, Tuxedo Black ink
- Kate Spade Rotating Stamp
- Amy Tangerine, Yes Please, Roller Stamp
- EK Success, Sticko, Aristocrat Alpha Sm.
- Basic Grey, bba-4024, letter stickers